The surgical procedure which is involved in the treatment of obesity is known as Mini Gastric bypass surgery. This mini one is almost similar to the commonly performed gastric bypass surgery. Mini Gastric Bypass Surgery is also shortly termed as MGB.
This weight loss surgery is a simple, quick, and reversible method. The operation has another name as One Anastomosis Gastric Bypass.
What are the indications to perform Mini Gastric Bypass Surgery?
Similar to traditional gastric bypass surgery, mini gastric bypass surgery his also performed when the recommended diet, exercise, or medications haven’t provided with any fruitful results. This method is suitable for people who have a BMI (Body Mass Index) of about 40. It is also for other conditions such as,
- Type 2 diabetes
- Cardiovascular diseases
- An elevated level of blood pressure
- Increased level of cholesterol
- Sleep apnoea (difficulty in breathing while sleeping)
- Fatty liver, non-alcoholic disease
How to perform Mini Gastric Surgery?
- The mini surgery is performed after giving the general anesthesia.
- About four to five small incisions will be made around the abdominal region.
- With the help of the incision, a thin tube, which is known as a laparoscope with a light, is inserted into the stomach.
- The laparoscope with a light and a tiny little camera that is used to monitor the internal organs present inside the stomach.
- Some specialized instruments which are used to perform this mini gastric bypass surgery are inserted through the other incisions into the stomach.
- The size of the stomach would be reduced to make it hold less amount of food.
- The stomach size is converted into a long narrow pouch through the stapling.
- Then the bypass is created to control the flow of food from the newly reduced stomach to the long pouch.
- The size of the loop in the small intestine is about 150 to 250 cms, which pass the food through the bypass to the duodenum, the lower part of the stomach, and a small part of the intestine.
- Finally, the incisions would be closed with the help of sutures.
How to prepare for this surgery?
Consult your surgeon if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant before the surgery. You should be able to follow Optifast for a week before the surgery which helps to reduce the size of the liver. Avoid smoking as it may increases pulmonary disease or can cause blood clotting.
What are the results of this surgery?
Unlike traditional gastric bypass, this surgery requires only a short time to perform. Don’t do any complicated exercises or lifting heavy objects. Always try your best to follow the prescribed diet and exercises.