The surgical procedure involves the removal of the gall bladder, is known as Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy. This Gall bladder is a pear-shaped organ that is located upper side of the abdominal region and below the liver. The primary function of the gall bladder is the collection and storage of bile, a digestive juice that is produced from the liver.
What are the reasons to perform Laparoscopic cholecystectomy?
This surgery is one of the standard processes which have the least number of complications and risks. It is performed when the person faced any health issues due to the complexities in the gall bladder. Some of the reasons are,
- Cholelithiasis (presence of gall stones in the gall bladder)
- Choledocholithiasis (Formation of gall stones in the bile duct)
- Cholecystitis (Inflammation in the gall bladder)
- Pancreatitis (Inflammation in the pancreas due to the gall stones)
What is the procedure to perform Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy?
- Before starting this procedure, you will be treated by the general anesthetic to relax muscles, avoid pain, and fall asleep fast (or not in your consciousness).
- The harmless gas, Carbon dioxide, is inflated in the abdominal region.
- A cut is made in your navel, and the laparoscope is inserted inside the stomach, where the surgeon can take a look inside.
- During the process of this surgery, the surgeon may check for the presence of stones in the bile duct through a special X-ray known as Cholangiogram.
- Some other small incisions are made to insert other instruments to perform the surgery.
- In some cases, large incisions are also made, and that process is called Open Cholecystectomy. And then, with the help of these incisions, your gall bladder would be finally removed.
What are the aftermaths of Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy?
After the surgery, you may feel relief from the pain, which is caused by gall stones or any other reasons. The surgery would help most of the people in preventing the reformation of gall stones. Though you won’t experience any discomfort indigestion after the cholecystectomy, it would be better to consult with your doctor regarding the food habits.
The recovery time from this surgery depends on the person’s health. Some people can able to get back to their healthy life and activities within a couple of days. But if you, in any chance, had undergone open cholecystectomy, then you might need a week or two to return to your healthy life.